A leaking gutter can cause serious damage to your roof and your landscaping. Gutters are designed to funnel water away from the roof appropriately, leaving you with a safe and water-free roof. If you find yourself asking why gutters leak, it may be a sign of a problem.
To figure out how to fix a leaking gutter, it’s helpful to know the reason behind the problem.
Why Do Gutters Leak? Here Are 6 Common Reasons
If your gutters are leaking, you may want to check for one of these common problems:
- Clogs – If your downspouts are clogged, your gutters are going to leak, even if they are perfectly undamaged. Clearing the clog will fix the problem.
- Loose fasteners – Sometimes the hangers, screws or nails on the roof will work loose, allowing some of the water to flow out of the back of the gutters. This is dangerous for your roof.
- Slope – Over time the gutters can start to sag, which disturbs their natural slope. This requires professional attention.
- Holes – Actual holes on the gutter, typically occurring from corrosion, need to be fixed to prevent leaks.
- Cracks – Just like holes, cracks can develop over time in your gutters. Seal these to protect your roof.
- Separation at joints – The joint is the weakest point on your gutter, and this can separate allowing water to leak.
Often, leaking gutters are simply due to the normal wear and tear that occurs.
Also beware of leaks in the basement or crawl space of your home! If rainwater fails to adequately drain away from your home, sooner or later, the foundation will begin to crack. This could lead to water leaks and mold growth in the basement or crawl space, both of which can threaten the structural integrity of your home. Check for wet walls, high humidity and mold growth in the underground parts of your home to discover and repair foundation leaks before it’s too late.
What Is the Best Way to Keep Gutters Clean?
Clean gutters can help prevent leaks. Unfortunately, they can get clogged with leaves, small branches and twigs, buds, pine needles and other debris. This is where gutter guards, or leaf screens, come in handy. These gutter protection systems help keep out debris and prevent clogging without blocking water flow. They are especially effective in the fall and spring, when gutters are most prone to clogging, but are beneficial all year long.
Regular cleaning and maintenance is recommended for keeping your gutters clear—but leaf protection systems are a great way to be proactive about it. There are many fantastic brands available and really, there is no single best gutter guard. That said, our team installs (and highly recommends!) Spectra, Evelyn’s Leaf Solution and RHINO products.
Gutter Repair & Replacement in Albany, NY
Whether you need a quick repair or full replacement, you can count on the team at Builders Installed Products. Contact us today!