Does your home not feel as comfortable or cozy as it used to? Have you noticed that your energy bills are increasing despite your efforts to save energy? It might be time to consider re-insulating your home.
In this blog, the experts at Builders Installed Products Albany cover the ins and outs of retrofit insulation and how to tell if your home needs re-insulation.
Why You Should Re-Insulate Your Home
When it comes to re-insulation, it doesn’t matter whether you have a new, modern home or one that’s older. Determining if you need to re-insulate your home comes down to two main factors: under-insulation or damaged insulation.
- Under-insulation, which is common in older homes, is the result of building codes and insulation standards evolving over time. Many homes are now under-insulated according to today’s standards, which spikes energy bills and compromises indoor comfort.
- Damaged insulation is the result of insulation degrading over time. This is often caused by moisture intrusion, pest infestations, settling or physical damage. When insulation loses its strength, it lets air leak through and reduces its thermal resistance.
Re-insulating a home can quickly and successfully combat under-insulation and damaged insulation. The major benefits of re-insulating include:
- Increased home value: As a significant project, re-insulating your home instantly improves your property’s value. It’s an investment that lasts a long time and one that’s on potential buyers’ checklists.
- Better indoor comfort: Better insulation improves your home’s temperature control. No longer will air escape through holes and crevices. Now, with re-insulation, you can set your home’s temperature on the thermostat and know it will actually be that temperature.
- Lower energy bills: What goes hand-in-hand with better comfort is lower energy bills. Re-insulation stops cool or warm air from escaping, so your HVAC system won’t have to work as hard to get your home to your desired temperature.
Save Money With Energy Tax Credits & Rebates
In addition to lower energy bills, there’s another way you can save money by re-insulating your home. Under the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, homeowners are eligible for federal tax credits and local rebate programs if they re-insulate their homes.
If you want to learn more, contact the Builders Installed Products Albany team. We’d be happy to explain these tax credit and local rebate programs in more detail and even start drafting your potential re-insulation project.
5 Signs Your House Needs New Insulation
You might be wondering if your home could use re-insulation, and there are specific signs that can help you figure that out. Here are five signs that your home could benefit from re-insulation:
- High energy bills: Without effective insulation, your home’s HVAC system must work overtime to get the entire home to your desired temperature. As a result, you’ll see expensive energy bills every month.
- Uneven temperature distribution: Your home could have insufficient or degraded insulation if certain rooms or areas are significantly warmer or colder than others.
- Air leaks: If you notice any air leaks around doors, windows or attics, your insulation is likely compromised.
- Pest infestations or water damage: The biggest way insulation can degrade is damage from pests or water. If you’ve had any recent pest infestations or significant water exposures in your attic or walls, check your insulation.
- Aging insulation: The biggest indicator for a need to re-insulate is the age of your insulation. While recent technologies have improved insulation to last for decades, it’s still best to have your insulation professionally inspected every 15 to 20 years to spot any problems.
Call an Experienced Insulation Contractor for a Home Inspection
You don’t have to take any chances on your home’s efficiency and comfort. Have an insulation expert perform an energy audit to let you know if your home is under-insulated or has damaged insulation.
Look no further than the professionals at Builders Installed Products Albany. Since 1993, we’ve been proudly improving homes with our unmatched wealth of knowledge and expertise.
Contact us today at 518-650-1100 to learn more about our top-tier insulation services or schedule your re-insulation project.