As we are all too aware of here in the Albany, New York area, winters can be extremely cold. One way to keep your home more comfortable (and energy-efficient!) is to install insulation. But there are many different options out there.
Not sure where to start? In this post, we’ll compare batt and blown-in insulation, two types of fiberglass, one of the most commonly installed types of insulation.
Contact us if you’re ready for a free estimate on your project, or keep reading to learn more about batt and blown-in insulation!
What Is the Difference Between Batt and Blown Insulation?
Which one is best for your project? Professionals can help you determine that, but in general, here are a few things to keep in mind:
Batt insulation is:
- Generally installed in unfinished walls (including foundation walls).
- Well suited for stud and joist spacing that is free from obstructions like wiring, pipes, etc.
Blown-in, or loose-fill, insulation is:
- Generally installed in enclosed existing walls (retrofit projects) or open new wall cavities (new construction projects) and unfinished attic floors.
- Good for adding to existing finished areas and around obstructions like wiring and pipes.
- Blown into place using special tools.
- Also referred to as “loose-fill” (loose-fill is a popular type of cellulose).
Learn more about batt vs. blown insulation—and get information on other types of insulation—on the Department of Energy’s website »
There is no “better” type of insulation—it all depends on where you need to insulate, how much insulation you need and more. A professional will be able to assess your space and determine the material that will work best. The Builders Installed Products Albany team installs high-quality fiberglass from Owens Corning. We are Certified Energy Expert® professionals (earned through training and certification from a top insulation brands).
Home Insulation Installation in the Albany, NY Area
Whether you install batt or blown-in insulation, it will help:
- Reduce your energy bills.
- Make your home more comfortable.
- Improve the performance of your HVAC equipment.
We use blown and batt fiberglass for wall, crawl space, basement and attic insulation.
Contact the experts at Builders Installed Products if you’re ready to insulate your home and start improving its energy efficiency and comfort—call 518-650-1100 or contact us online!